Lake Ouachita Blakely Mountain Dam and Power Plant opened in 1955 with a capacity of 75 megawatts.
The hydropower units at the Blakely Mountain were in full commercial operation by October 1955. Over its half-century of service, Blakely Mountain Power Plant has produced over nine billion kilowatthours of energy.
The Average Annual Hydropower Revenue of Blakely Dam Operation is $11,738,000. These are the dollars that, on average, are
deposited into the Treasury each year from the power and energy produced.
This is done by the sale of power to publicly owned cooperatives.
To generate hydroelectric power at Blakely, water from the power storage pool ( Lake Ouachita ) is released through the gate-controlled intake section of the dam. This water rotates the turbines in the powerhouse, and discharges through the draft tubes into Lake Hamilton. The spinning turbines are connected to generators that actually produce the electricity. The power generated is increased in voltage by a transformer for transmission into the regional power grid for use in Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma.
In 2006 then Commander of the Corps Mississippi Valley Division Brig. Gen. Robert Crear, along with U.S. Congressman Mike Ross of Arkansas; Carmie Henry, Vice President of Government Affairs for Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corp.; and Dallas Cooper, Assistant Administrator of Southwestern's Office of Corporate Facilities joined together in a ceremonial burning of Blakely Mountain's mortgage.
The powerhouse at Blakely Mountain also controls the electricity production of lake Greeson and Lake Degray dams. The third and last hydroelectric facility built in the district was the DeGray Dam and Powerplant, which began operation in 1972 with two generators and a total installed capacity of 68 megawatts.
In the Vicksburg District, the generation of hydroelectric power began in 1952 when the power plant at Narrows Dam on Lake Greeson went into operation. Initially Narrows Dam had two generators with a capacity of 17 megawatts, but a third generator added in 1969 increased the capacity to 25.5 megawatts.
159th Committee Meeting
|Ouachita National Forrest|